Monday 7 January 2013

Indian Adaptation of 'Hakka' Chinese

This is chinese food that you get even on the streets of India. Some people also call it 'Hakka ciusine' as many owners of restaurants that serve this cuisine are Hakka origin. It is actually an Indian adaptation of original Hakka dishes. 

Typical dishes include 'chilli chicken' and 'Manchurian chicken'. I really enjoyed this back home especially as a university student for a quick-affordable meal. It is full of flavours and predominates on chilli and soya sauce. Once I moved here....this kind of chinese was seen no where. I always make it a point to check the menu of all the chinese restaurants to find the familiar dishes on their menu. 

Atlast in London, I found this on the menu of a restaurant called 'Desi Dragon' in South hall. Address: 13 South Road, UB1 1SU.  A simple sit in restaurant but serving my kind of chinese dishes. 

 

Here are the few clicks I could manage before we all forked into it!! 

Chicken lollypop ;-) starters that we finished in a jffy!!

 Vegetarian Manchurian gravy & burnt garlic fried rice.....


Vegetarian Fried rice & Burnt garlic rice 


I have to admit that knowing that this kind of chinese cooking involves a lot of frying, high levels of fat and salt, I found it hard to resist this on my festive holiday, especially with food all around us! It reinforced the fact that the more food we have around us the more we eat....so always keep a healthy food option in your reach. 

All right, festivals and holidays are behind us now and it is time to get back on track with healthy eating and regular exercise. Have you too made a New Year's resolution??

Although studies show we are not very good at sticking to our resolutions, I still believe that setting of goals makes a positive mindset and reinforces the need for change, providing the much needed inspiration. 

I wish you all best of luck in your New Years endeavours!! 

Luv 
Amzu 



No comments: