Tuesday 31 July 2012

Dining at Nandos

It was Chef’s day last week Wednesday and my husband thought to give a day off to his chef (me ;-) and show his appreciation by treating me to Nando’s. My first taste of Nandos chicken was in India where I was introduced to the ‘peri peri world’. I have from then always enjoyed my trips to Nando’s.
 It was an extra hot day in Edinburgh in all essence with the sun out and people bustling in Fountain Park Nando’s (courtesy Cineworld in fountain park) after a hot Batman movie.
I had a look at the menu even though I knew I would order a hot peri peri chicken (need to specify without skin), portion of chips with peri peri salt (my weakness) and I see that Nando’s have their menu revamped! The menu has African artwork on it, mine had art created by Dion Cupido. There are a number of African art pieces displayed in the restaurant also. It was great to read more of it on the menu till I waited for my food.
I collected my peri peri herb sauce and had a sneak peek at my chicken being flame grilled. There were flare ups as the fat melted and dripped away. A good way to get rid of the fat and seals in taste and moisture without additional fat.
 I have the chicken platter served out. Looks tempting!


Am I going to eat all of this?? No! We are 4 people sharing a whole chicken.
I enjoyed every bite of my sahre of chicken, dipping it in my favourite wild herb peri peri sauce as if the heat of the peri peri chicken was not enough.
Soon my eyes went to the fat free frozen yoghurt express machine and this tempted my latest fascination with different frozen yoghurts. It was the caramel one that I had. I wish it was less watery and firm, none the less...kept my sweet tooth satisfied.












I was soo fascinated with the buzz about the new loyalty card and the revamped website http://www.nandos.co.uk/  that I went and had a look at it.



It is a very fun and involving website with the quick guide that tells you how to place an order at Nando’s for those who are new to Nando’s as it is a fusion of fast food setting and fine dining setting.
It was of keen interest to see that there are dedicated pages for the nutrition facts and information of the foods.
Good to know that Nando’s foods contain
×No preservatives
×No added MSG
×No artificial flavourants
×No colourants
üFresh chicken and not frozen
üMarinated 24 hours in secret peri peri sauce made from hot African Bird’s eye chilli (Swahili word is peri-peri)
üFlame grilled – Never fried
üHigh in protein and low in fat with a number of options available in salads as fillers, contributing towards your 5 a day.

The calorie cost of the Nando’s meal:
1 leg piece of quarter pounder chicken (without skin) - 217 Kcal
½ of the Regular chips with peri peri salt - 180 Kcal
100 ml caramel frozen yoghurt – 90 Kcal
A good 487 Kcal!!
If I would have got carried away and had a full portion of regular chips my meal would have been a whopping 667 Kcal!
I could have done better only if I would have swapped my chips for a side salad of 9 Kcal it would have been 316 Kcal with the dessert!
Thus as a rule of thumb, all Nando's meals made with white meat are good options for dieters. As side-dishes salad can be used to replace chips or just control the portion as I did (half of the regular portion).
Calorie Swap of 667 Kcal for 316 kcal.
It was an awazing evening of good food. I wonder what will be my next dine out.















2 comments:

Gaz said...

Thanks for this infomative article. It's good to know that there are healthy options when eating out. Especially when most of my family likes going to Nando's!

Amzu said...

Thanks Gaz!