Sunday 7 October 2012

British Egg Week

Get cracking with British Egg Week
1-7 October 2012

It's the last day of the British Egg week and Sunday morning also , thus my breakfast has to be eggs! 

While making our usual fare of omelette- 2 whole egg omelette for my husband and 2 egg white omelette for me, I realised that this is dilemma in everyone's mind Does egg taste good without the yolks??

So here is a egg citing fact! 

2 whole eggs are 180 calories

 

 Eggs contain cholesterol, and high cholesterol levels in our blood increases our risk of heart disease.However, the cholesterol we get from food – including eggs – has less effect (when limited to 1 egg yolk) on the amount of cholesterol in our blood than the amount of saturated fat we eat. Two yolks contain 420 milligrams of cholesterol, which far exceeds the maximum recommend daily intake of 300 mg.

Most of an egg's nutrients are found in the yolk, especially the essential fatty acids, B vitamins and anti oxidants. 

2 egg white are 34 calories
So it is true that egg whites are a low-calorie food, and it contains absolutely no fat and cholesterol. In one large egg, protein content in the egg white is 3.6 grams, which amounts to 7 percent of daily value. 


 I thus avoid the egg yolks more to save my calories and fat intake at the beginning of the day! 

Made our omelettes with the same ingredients: tomatoes, onion, green chilly, coriander and salt. 


Here are our omelettes. Spot the difference!


Even if you have spotted the one with/without the egg yolk, I can tell you that my husband din't find a difference in taste. But yes when I told him that he was having 180 calories in his omelette and me only 34 calories, his face was 


So You may be throwing away the yolks to cut calories and reduce cholesterol, which is fine or having a whole egg to get all the nutrients. 

Think about keeping a few yolks every once in a while!

Lets all enjoy eggs- a healthy and quick breakfast. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

if you put them all along with a appropriate diet program you really can consider the body
to an entire new fitness

Feel free to surf to my page - precision nutrition cookbook pdf