Tuesday 27 November 2012

Hot Chicken Soup to keep warm on a winter evening!

I had flu last week and all my throat needed was something warm and soothing. The flu season is here and what better than Clear Chicken Soup with the goodness of ginger, garlic, peppercorns and onions to soothe the throat.

So here is the recipe for this simple soup. Not much of preparation required, ideal when you are not keeping too well. 

Serves 4

Ingredients

1 teaspoon cooking oil
1 medium potato, chopped
A few pieces (I used 3 pieces) of Chicken  
2.5 liters of Water
1 medium size, roughly sliced Onions
2 teaspoon Ginger- Garlic paste
Pepper to taste
Salt to taste

Cooking Method

Add all ingredients in a cooking pot and mix together.
Cook on high heat until it comes to a boil and then continue to simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes.

Take out the chicken pieces, remove any skin and bones. Shred and serve with hot soup. I do not strain the soup as I like the soft sweet onions which are so rich in flavours.

I like only a few shredded pieces of chicken in my soup. I save the rest of boiled chicken for my sandwich spread with curry spices. It is nice to prepare the spread on the same day as the chicken is moist. The boiled chicken on storing may dry up. The spread makes fast and serves as a lovely lunch in a jiffy on the next day. I will soon share the recipe with you all.

Soup for Thought: This clear chicken soup is typically served up when your stomach cannot tolerate anything acidic or you just need some clear fluids to sooth your throat and body – that is why there are no tomatoes or spicy ingredients in here. But if you are feeling fine and you are just looking for warm soup then add some tomatoes, chillies and other vegetables (carrot, peas, etc) as you would like.  


With the winter here, surely give this soup a try! Its always on my must have list during winter. This is the first winter I am experiencing in UK and my body is getting regulated to this low temperature.

 Keep warm this winter!

Luv
Amzu x

No comments: