Thursday 23 August 2012

Masala Rice from leftovers

It is not that I have forgotten about my challenge of trying one new recipe every week. But I have been on a roller coaster ride this week, busy from all sides and also been consciously eating vegetarian food (no  particular reason, I normally go through phases like these ;-))

So now when I actually sit to write down I am pausing and thinking what I ate this week for dinner:

Monday: Mixed vegetable curry with whole wheat flat bread (topped with dollops of yogurt) 

Tuesday:  Salad with boiled chick peas (a quick dinner as had a lot of laundry to do)

Wednesday: Boiled red lentil dhal with rice (along with onion and tomato salad)

Just noticed that I have had some source of protein(lentils, yogurt, peas) even though on vegetables (sometimes the dietitian inside unconsciously rules)

Today is already Thursday and now the urge to try something new sets in again (need a change of palate). But I had leftover white rice which I had to use up so the search begins for something quick but tasty......

I came across Masala Rice (have eaten this a number of times from my Friend's tiffin, now time to try it)

Masala rice is a perfect one dish meal to use the left over rice as well as add vegetables that one has.

So masala rice it is. I read a number of recipes and then tried a mixed version that I thought will suit my fussy husbands palate. I have to say that this was really quick and very tasty for the effort put in.
Ingredients
Serves 3
1 teaspoon cooking oil
1 medium potato, chopped

1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
2 cups of boiled rice (leftover in my case)
 1 green chilly, chopped
1 teaspoons whole cumin
A generous handful of fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped
1  teaspoon of red chilly powder
1/2  teaspoon turmeric powder
About 1 teaspoon salt
 

Cooking Method
Heat the oil in a wide pot over a medium flame. When hot, add whole cumin, ginger garlic paste and green chillies.
Add the spices (chilly powder, turmeric powder, salt) 
 Then add onions and cook for 5-7 minutes or so until they’re starting to turn brown. Don’t worry about under or over cooking them too much.
Fry the potatoes next. Add a little water and cover the pan to cook the potatoes thoroughly.

Add chopped tomatoes and fry for a couple of minutes with some juiciness left.

Now add the rice. Simmer for 5 minutes as the rice are already cooked before, breaking up any lumps as you go. Don’t stir it too much as it may break the rice grains.
 Garnish with fresh coriander and that is you done!
It has been a lovely and long day.  But I had to write this post tonight to share with you'll.... as many of you must be having a busy week but must have taken time to read this blog so many times. This is for all those who have leftover rice, want to eat something flavourful or just love reading my kitchen endeavours. 
Good Night for now   Have a nice day tomorrow!


No comments: