Thursday 9 August 2012

‘The Multigrain Trap’


I had been to the supermarket and came across Pringles MULTIGRAIN on the shelf. I was super excited to have my hands on them, as the first impression would be that multigrain means healthier than the Normal Pringles which are made from potatoes. A rethink warned me that Multigrain does not have to be healthy!



So before I could get my hand down the Pringles tube, I had a look at the nutritional label and what I see “They aren’t significantly healthier than regular Pringles”.

Multigrain Pringles has a serving size suggestion of 30 gms as against 25 gms of regular Pringles. I compared weight against weight and found that 25 gm of both is almost the same in every aspect. Pringles Mutligrain contains 5 calories less, 0.5 gram less fat and 0.2 gram more fibre per 25 grams.

I know what you must be thinking, that even though calorie wise equal, but the source of calorie is healthy. But think again.   

Here’s the catch: Multigrain and whole grain are not exchangeable terms.

Whole grains include all parts of the grain kernel (the bran, germ and endosperm) and are high in fiber.

Multigrain, on the other hand, simply means that a food contains more than one type of grain.

In this case the Multigrain Pringles contain rice flour, corn flour, malted barley flour, wheat bran. The list continues as it also contains dehydrated potatoes, malto dextrin, wheat starch, modified rice starch, sugar, emulsifiers, vegetable oil and salt.

They taste like a combination of tortilla chips and Pringles and for some reason I enjoyed the Pringles Multigrain Classic crisps, limiting myself to a few.

So How do the Multigrain fare in comparison to original Pringles?

Multigrain Pringles are nutritionally just like regular Pringles. It is just camouflaged as a healthy pick and does not provide whole grains.....it is multigrain!

No comments: