Monday 20 August 2012

Noodles making you loose or gain oodles!

A friend of mine last week was stirring some great tasting noodles at work and that reminded me of Maggie - the 2 minute instant noodles!

Most of you all reading this must have gone through a phase of instant noodles or cup noodles.

The craving was so strong that I had to go searching at 5 places to get my hands on the 2 brands I was looking at: Maggie (my old love) and Batchelors super low fat noodles (my latest fascination).



 Finally when I found both, the craving to eat dissappeared as I got distracted by their nutrition display.

The Batchelor's Super Low Fat Noodles seemed attractive and healthy being Low Fat; but the catch was that even though they are low fat noodles - they still contain calories.

The suggested serving size was 1/2 the pack which was 154 Kcal, but how many of us would eat the suggested serving size of 43 g (a small portion)?

 If you landed up ignoring this bit of the most important information and ate the whole pack of 85 g of the noodles then you would consume 308 kal, even though low in fat  (1.6 g).

I was curious and compared it to Masala Maggie (regular instant noodles) and found that the suggested serving (a block of noodles) 80 g was 322 Kcal but acknowledging the fact that it had much higher amount of fat (11.5 g).


So 85 g of Low fat noodles for 308 Kcal v/s 80 g of normal instant noodles for 322 Kcal.



One needs to be careful not only of what one eats but also how much one eats!

 Batchelors noodles are a good option if you can stick to 1/2 pack and add a bit of veggies to fill. But if you ate the whole pack then you could have bargained a complete meal for the same calories or even a regular instant noodles in the same calories but at higher level of fat.

So make right choices.....and Eat healthy!

P.S: I have to say that the Batchelor's super low fat noodles were equally yummy ;-))




No comments: